Banana bread is one of my absolute favourite things to bake! I always have way too many bananas hanging around my kitchen and this recipe is a great way to use older ripe bananas. You can even use frozen bananas that have been thawed overnight or in hot water.
Since posting my delicious vegan chocolate chip zucchini bread recipe I wanted to try the same with a vegan chocolate chip banana bread. The result was just as amazing!
This chocolate chip banana bread recipe is:
This amazing vegan chocolate chip banana bread recipe is easy to make for breakfast, as a snack or dessert. It is so delicious and I love the freshly baked banana bread smell that fills my home while making it. Better yet, this recipe is 100% plant-based vegan.
Unlike some vegan loaf recipes, this vegan chocolate chip banana bread recipe isn’t dry or tasteless. In fact, it is bursting with banana bread flavour and is the perfect combination of density, fluffiness and moistness.
If you are searching for vegan chocolate chips, most dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips are by default vegan. I use the PC brand decadent semi sweet chips which are vegan and taste amazing! You can get them at Loblaws in Canada. You can also sub out chocolate chips in this recipe for nuts or chocolate chunks. I like to add walnuts to this recipe for added crunch and protein.
I highly recommend doubling the recipe as this loaf will be gone fast! A new record was made the other day in my household: I made this recipe and within half an hour the loaf was gone!
Recipe: How To Make Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350F and prepare your loaf pan with vegan butter or oil. You can also use a muffin tray and pour the batter to make muffins instead of a loaf. You should be able to make about a dozen muffins with this recipe.
Step 2: In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix well. In a blender, add the bananas, soy milk and vegetable oil. Blend until all ingredients are combined. Add the blended banana mixture to the dry ingredients. Add the flax egg (see recipe below for how to make a flax egg) and stir all ingredients until well combined.
Step 3: Pour the batter into your loaf or muffin pan and bake for approx 1hr. You can check with a toothpick to see if if comes out clean.
Step 4: Cool the banana bread in the pan for 15min then serve and enjoy!
Can the recipe be made gluten free?
Yes! Simply swap out regular flour for gluten free flour.
Can the banana bread be stored?
Absolutely. You can leave the banana bread out at room temp for approx 3 days before it starts to get dry. You can also freeze the loaf and unthaw it later. Just wrap it in plastic or tin foil once fully cool and place in freezer.
Can the oil be substituted in this recipe?
Yes you can use applesauce instead of oil.
Can I use a different non-dairy milk instead of soy milk?
Yes, you can also use unsweetened almond milk for this receipe.
Can I use chocolate chunks instead of chips?
Yes! If you love chocolate I recommend using chocolate chunks instead of vegan chocolate chips.
Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 2 cups all purpose flour use gluten free flour for GF version
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3-4 ripe banans medium or small size
- 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed for flax seed egg
- 3 tbsp hot water for flax seed egg
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup ground walnuts optional
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare loaf pan and line with vegetable oil or vegan butter
- In a large bowl, combine flour, white and brown sugar, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix well.
- In a blender, add the bananas, soy milk and vegetable oil. Blend until all ingredients are combined.
- Make a flax egg by adding the ground flax seed to the hot water and letting mixture sit for 1-2minutes.
- Add the blended banana mixture to the dry ingredients. Add the flax egg and stir all ingredients until well combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips. You can also add walnuts. Save a few chocolate chips to add on top before baking.
- Pour mix into loaf pan and sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
- Place in over and bake for approx 1 hour until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for 15min then serve!
For more 100% vegan recipes check out my latest posts:
Let us know what you think of the vegan chocolate chip banana bread recipe in the comments below!